Monday, November 24, 2008

An Imposter

The physical changes are amazing - beyond my imagination at 8 months out of surgery. However, my brain hasn't necessarily caught up with those changes.

If someone meets me for the first time or sees me out in public - they don't know anything different than what they currently see. They don't know that i weighed nearly 300 pounds only 8 short months ago. They don't know that I feel like I am wearing a mask now - that I am still that 300 pound woman on the inside - that I haven't accepted my new "skin" yet and can't identify in being a "normal" size person.

Here is a great article from Newsweek about another woman that had a gastric bypass and she talks about feeling like an imposter and how others accept her as always being part of the skinny side of life. http://www.newsweek.com/id/74075

0 comments: